When it comes to being snowed in for a weekend, options for keeping oneself entertained in-between shoveling can be a little limited. There’s only so much reading, mindless scrolling through social media and movies a person can handle before the boredom begins to take over.
But there’s also plenty of baking and cooking that can be done to pass the time- which is exactly what I did following the most recent blizzard we had here in New England. Wanting something warm, sweet, indulgent and comforting to treat myself with after each snow-clearing session I endured during the storm- I whipped up a batch of these rich and decadent brownies- complete with a gooey marshmallow topping!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks (dark or milk chocolate)
- 12 jumbo marshmallows
- Marshmallow Fluff (optional)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 cavities of a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chopped unsweetened chocolate with the butter. Place over a double boiler and heat, stirring occasionally, until fully melted.
3. Add the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, and mix to combine. Add the eggs; mix until incorporated.
4. Add the flour and salt; mix until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cavity three-quarters of the way full.
5. Bake until the surface is crackly and set, 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and top each cupcake with a marshmallow. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the marshmallows melt over the cupcakes, 3 minutes more.
6. Cool the cupcakes for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove and place on a cooling rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
7. **For some added marshmallow taste- scoop a spoonful of Fluff on top of each cupcake as they’re cooling!**
I am, admittedly, pretty generous when it comes to topping my cupcakes with Marshmallow Fluff- and you can probably tell I added more than just a dollop to mine. But regardless of whether or not you use Fluff with your own version of these- this remains a perfect and cozy dessert do serve all Winter long.
And it also makes a sweet treat for Valentine’s Day!