One of my favorite Halloween night traditions over the years has been traveling to my mother’s house to meet up with her, my brothers, my sister-in-law and my niece where we’d order a couple of pizzas, watch some horror movies and take my niece Trick-or-Treating around the neighborhood before we’d bake cookies or a cute and creative Halloween-themed snack or dessert.
But with my niece living in Florida now and the full tradition temporarily on hold for the time being (I can still order pizzas and watch horror movies with my mom, after all!)– I knew I still wanted to whip up something simple and fun this year for old time’s sake- and I remembered a recipe my mother used to make for my friends and I at Halloween parties we’d have when I was a kid.
Some of you might know this one as the “worms in dirt” recipe with gummy worms- and it’s pretty much the same except for the topping!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3.4 ounces prepared Jell-O Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 8 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed
- Bone/Skull sprinkles (I used THESE ONES)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Prepare pudding mix per box instructions and whisk until smooth and lump-free.
2. Spoon pudding into cups or bowls and top with a generous layer of finely crushed Oreo Cookie crumbs.
3. Top with Halloween-themed sprinkles and serve immediately or chilled.
Chocolate pudding and chocolate cookies? There’s no way to mess this one up. This recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare and is sure to be a crowd pleaser- especially for kids!
Also, the sprinkles have a crunch to them- so you can mix them into the pudding before you top it with the Oreo Cookies and more of the bones for a little more texture.