I’m going to level with you all. You don’t need a recipe for this. Out of all the simple appetizers, entrées and desserts I’ve shared here on “Coffee & Chiffon” for the past year or so- this one has got to be the easiest and quickest. If you have approximately ten minutes- you can whip up a bunch of these to serve at your next cookout/BBQ- and you’ll only be left with maybe one or two bowls/trays for cleanup afterwards.
But I know some people like to cook/bake things by the book to leave minimal room for error- so here we are. With temperatures soaring this past weekend, the last thing I wanted to do was turn my oven on or make a snack for myself and my (vaccinated!) visitors that was going to make us feel overly full and more sluggish than the heat had already managed to do all on it’s own. Having some fresh fruit in my refrigerator from a recent outing to a local farm stand- and using what minimal energy I scrounged up to make some homemade whipped cream- these berries and cream bites were a refreshing- and light!- treat to enjoy in front of the air conditioner while we waited for it to work it’s magic.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 30 mini phyllo shells
- 8 strawberries, sliced in quarters
- 30 blueberries (plus more for garnish)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Combine the Cool Whip, cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat at a low speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth with no clumps.
2. Fill a pastry bag or large Ziploc bag with the cream mixture. Pipe the mixture into the phyllo shells. You can also use a spoon to distribute the mixture evenly into the shells if it’s easier for you or if you’re short for time.
3. Top each shell with a blueberry and one-quarter of a strawberry. Add additional blueberries around the serving plate/tray. Refrigerate, or serve immediately.
See? Ridiculously easy AND delicious. There is literally no way to mess this one up- and they’re going to be a hit for everyone because they’re small, tasty, not messy at all- and easy enough to replenish if you happen to run out!
I have a feeling my next dessert may be a little more complex, of course- so I’m just going to enjoy the simplicity of this one for as long as possible!