With so many people staying home and looking for new ways to keep themselves occupied as the days and weeks blend together- there’s been an influx of DIY crafts/projects and kitchen concoctions being shared across social media. I, too, have been occasionally browsing Pinterest and different quarantine-boredom-busting-blogs for some inspiration for new things to whip up with ingredients I have readily available in my pantry.
So, needless to say I was thrilled when I recently came across the news that Disney were releasing the recipes for some of their famous treats that are typically only available for purchase and enjoyment within their parks. However, with both Disney Land and Disney World being temporarily closed for the time being- those desserts and snacks are hard to get a hold of.
Until now. anyway! In an attempt to raise our spirits- Disney shared the recipe for their popular (and plant-based) cookie fries from the Beaches & Cream Soda Shop. Best of all? A handful of ingredients makes 32 cookies. What better way to enjoy isolation than with a TON of these things?
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ cup plus one tablespoon plant-based margarine, softened
- 7 tablespoons warm water
- 5 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Combine flour, powdered sugar and plant-based margarine in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
2. In a small bowl, combine warm water and egg substitute. Add egg substitute and molasses to the mixer. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
3. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Place in an 8×8-inch pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
6. Cut into 32 strips that are ¼-inch wide and 4 inches long. Place 16 strips on each baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until crunchy.
These cookie fries can be served with dipping sauces of your choice, as well. I had chocolate sauce on hand- which made these even better when I drizzled some on top- but anything you want should suffice!
And yes, I absolutely made all 32 of them. The rest are currently stored away in a container for the next time I have a quarantine-inspired crying fit that can only be alleviated by lots and lots of chocolate.