Although I was rooting for the 49ers (and specifically, Jimmy Garoppolo,) during last night’s Super Bowl- it was still really fun and pretty intense to watch- and I’m happy for my friends from Kansas City who have been undoubtedly celebrating all night and well into the early hours of this morning.
If your team isn’t in the Super Bowl- the day becomes less about showing your local spirit/pride and more about indulging in some serious snacking and ice cold beer. With the Patriots out this year and an afternoon and evening of gluttony ahead of me- I thought I’d whip up a quick, 15 minute mini pizza recipe for myself and a couple of people I had over to watch the game (and the commercials, of course!)
Behold, the ultimate Game Day appetizer!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 4 soft flour tortillas for burritos (8 inch)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Mini pepperonis
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin or coat with an unflavored non-stick spray.
2. Working one at a time, lay tortilla on a flat surface. Using an empty can or a circular cookie cutter, cut 3-4 medium circles, pressing firmly enough to cut through the tortilla.
3. Fit a tortilla circle into each of 12 muffin tins, pressing gently to make sure the center dips down far enough to hold the toppings. Scoop 1 tablespoon pizza sauce into each muffin tin. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and topping with mini pepperonis.
4. Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Don’t let the flour tortillas fool you- They make an excellent and resilient crust that can hold a lot of toppings and taste delicious when they are at their crispiest.
These pizzas are bite-sized, completely customizable (add sausage or even pineapple- if that’s your thing…) and incredibly easy to make- all while tasting great- and they were a big hit that were gone within minutes after I had put a plate of them out on the coffee table in front of the TV.
I know I’ll be making these again- probably sooner than later- but I hope by this time next year, I can make a ton to line up on some Patriots-themed plates to celebrate them going to the Super Bowl in 2021.